Today the International Congress of Mathematicians announced the winners of some of the most prestigious prizes in mathematics—in particular, the Fields medal 2018.
- Caucher Birkar has been awarded the Fields medal for his contribution to algebraic geometry.
- Alessio Figalli has been awarded the Fields medal for his contributions, among other things, to optimal transport theory.
- Peter Scholze has received the Fields medal for transforming arithmetic algebraic geometry.
- Akshay Venkatesh has been awarded the Fields medal for his work exploring the boundaries of number theory.
- Constantinos Daskalakis has been awarded the Rolf Nevanlinna Prize for outstanding contributions on the mathematical aspects of informational sciences.
- David Donoho has been awarded the Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize for scientists whose mathematical research has had an impact outside mathematics.
- Masaki Kashiwara has been awarded the Chern Medal Award, awarded to mathematicians whose accomplishments warrant the highest level of recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of mathematics.
- Ali Nesin has been awarded the Leelavati Prize for increasing public awareness of mathematics as an intellectual discipline and the crucial role it plays in diverse human endeavors.
In other news, Birkar’s Fields medal has been stolen.